TRANSLATE THIS BLOG

Thursday, August 16, 2012


Newcastle sign Anita

August 16, 2012
By Kristan Heneage
Vurnon Anita has completed his move to Newcastle United from Ajax, signing a five-year deal.

Vurnon Anita can play in midfield or defence
Anita, 23, is a defensive midfielder who is also capable of operating in defence and Newcastle boss Alan Pardew believes he can be a major asset.
"We are delighted to secure the services of Vurnon," he told the club's official website. "He is an exceptionally talented footballer with great technical ability, which is exactly what I'm looking at in a player, and, at 23-years-old, we hope his best years are at Newcastle.
"He has come through the Ajax youth system, which is world renowned for bringing up players the right way, and I am sure he will fit seamlessly into the squad of players we have here."
Pardew also said that Anita will be ready for action immediately, meaning he is likely to play some part of the weekend's fixture against Tottenham Hotspur.
"Vurnon has done his pre-season, and indeed already played one competitive game, so he's up to speed and ready to play when I need him."
Prior to signing his deal with Newcastle, Anita had revealed that he had sought confirmation of his role in the side.
"I talked to the manager and the coach and they know that I want to play in a defensive midfield place and that's why they brought me here," Anita said, "but I can play at left-back or right-back, so that's also no problem." The midfielder, who has represented Netherlands three times, also said he had spoken with compatriot Tim Krul prior to moving to Tyneside.
"He told me to join Newcastle, and said it was a very nice club with great supporters and everything is nice and that he would like me to come here," he said. "I trust him so I think we can have a nice time here."
Meanwhile, Ajax manager Frank De Boer has backed the player to do well in the Premier League:
Speaking to the Evening Chronicle, De Boer said: "Newcastle fans will see a player who can deal with the game in England.
"He goes to Newcastle United with my best wishes. He is one of the hardest working young players I have ever seen. He deserves a move to a club like Newcastle United. He gives 300% for you. He is always concentrating on his game and he never ever gives up. He has a bright future ahead."

No comments:

Post a Comment